An Update from Joe Cloete, GM
We are pleased to share our 2016 rate adjustments with you, which have involved an in-depth analysis of historical and current world trends and exchange rates, and need to be analyzed along with the considerable investment in the various products Shamwari Group is committing to in 2015/16.
Exterior and interior improvements and refurbishments are planned to roll out during 2015 and early 2016 across Shamwari Group.
Please contact your preferred DMC or one of the Emerging Destinations team, our US representatives for our contract rates, at email@example.com.
Shamwari Game Reserve – Eastern Cape South Africa.
- Bayethe Tented Lodge – due to increasing demand, three new additional luxury tents will be constructed in late 2015, early 2016. All the existing luxury tents will be upgraded during the low season 2015 so all the tents will be of a similar standard and equally priced as from 2016. The new tents are planned to be completed in the first quarter of 2016. Interior refurbishments will also take place at the main lodge areas including the dining room, lounges and the boma area will also be completely revamped. This will bring the amount of luxury tents to 15 at Bayethe.
- Eagles Crag Lodge – all existing nine suites, the dining room and lounges are to be refurbished during the low season of 2015 to give Eagles Crag a completely fresh look and to be completed by end of September 2015.
- Long Lee Manor, Riverdene Family Lodge, Villa Lobengula and Sarili Family Lodge – all four lodges will undergo minor soft refurbishments during the low season of 2015 to improve on the existing luxury five star standards.
- Shamwari Explorer Camp – this very popular walking trails camp will undergo a complete change with brand new larger tents with en-suite bathroom facilities and a new specifically styled dining tent area in place by September 2015. We have partnered with Melvill & Moon, the luxury safari brand of furniture and mobile safari accessories, to give all Explorer Camps a fresh look, ready for the new season in September 2015.
Shamwari Added Value Products.
- The Jean Byrd Born Free Centre adjacent to Sarili lodge has recently undergone a complete exterior upgrade with all the enclosures upgraded to the latest international standards. These incredible African cats and their remarkable stories, continued to be cared for in first class facilities with full time veterinary care.
- The Ian Player Rhino Awareness Centre and The Animal Rehabilitation Centre are situated at the Wildlife Management complex are available to our guests and are included in the rate.
Sanbona Wildlife Reserve – Western Cape, South Africa.
- Dwyka Tented Lodge – this incredibly popular luxury tented lodge was completely overhauled in 2014 following the floods that occurred in the region. All 9 luxury tents, spa, main lodge area and pathways were refurbished and have given Dwyka a brand new feel.
- Gondwana Family Lodge – the common areas of this lodge will be refurbished during the course of the 2015 low season and along with the recently revamped Kids Play room will give Gondwana a fresh family-friendly look by September 2015. All children receive a complimentary Sanbona Kids on Safari backpack with check list and activities book as they also do at Shamwari and Jock.
- Tilney Manor – all 6 suites will undergo a soft refurbishment, which will complete the upgrades after last year’s overhaul of the common areas.
Sanbona Added Value Products:
- Complimentary transfers to the various lodges from the arrivals lounge will continue as well as the very popular Sanbona boat experience on the Bellair Dam. All these activities are included in the rates.
- Standby Generators – in light of continual load shedding by Eskom (our national electricity supplier) Sanbona is in the process of acquiring stand by generators that will kick in immediately when the national grid shuts down. Shamwari is already equipped with generators at all the lodges and Jock is of course off the grid.
Jock Safari Lodge – Kruger National Park.
- Jock Main Camp – the two lounges, bar area and boma will undergo fresh style changes but will remain in keeping with the theme of Jock of the Bushveld. These changes are due to be completed by July 2015. All 12 luxury rooms will also undergo minor soft upgrades over the next few months.
- Fitzpatrick’s at Jock – this exclusive family lodge recently underwent some excellent improvements to the outside dining areas and landscaping. The three rooms will also be part of the soft refurbishment roll out plan for 2015.
- Golf at Leopard Creek – The rates include complimentary transfers to and from the exclusive Leopard Creek Golf Estate, which are combined with either early morning or late afternoon game drives.
- Skukuza transfers – reduced transfer rates to and from Skukuza are available and are done in game viewing vehicles by the Jock guides.
Exchange rates – the rand has devalued by approximately 70% against the US Dollar and the British Pound and by approximately 40% against the Euro since 2010. It is currently cheaper for our international visitors from these currencies to visit our properties than it was 5 years ago due to the weakening Rand. At the same time however, the average inflation rate in South Africa over the last 10 years is 10,74%, and therefore the increasing costs of electricity, fuel and labour have to be factored into rate adjustments going forward. It is also important to remember that in 2011/12 we actually reduced our rates by approximately 15% in light of the world economic crisis and to stimulate business.
Some Useful Links:
- Image Gallery: http://www.shamwarigroup.com/galleryindex.asp?ProjectID=1
- Fact Sheets on all properties, Kids on Safari and Explorer Camps: http://www.shamwarigroup.com/content.asp?pageID=1913
- Low Season Specials: http://www.shamwarigroup.com/specials.asp?ProjectID=0&ProjectID=1
- Contract Rates Application: http://www.shamwarigroup.com/questionnaire.asp?qid=30&ProjectID=1
In summary, Shamwari Group will continue to invest substantial funds into the various products to ever improve the experiences of our guests and the facilities on offer. At the end of the day, the consumer can still enjoy a more affordable holiday at our properties in 2015/16 than they did in 2010.
We would like to thank you for your continued support over many years and look forward to hosting your clients in the years ahead.